If you had to read a book by a teenaged author, who would you pick?

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Awakening - First Half

I can't say I can relate to Edna since 1. I'm not married and 2. I'm not married to a guy I don't love and crushing on a guy who just left for Mexico. Speaking of Robert, did he leave because Madam Ratignolle told him to keep his distance from Edna or because he feels like he's falling for Edna and needs to stay away from her? And I don't understand how swimming "awakened" Edna's spirit - or was it Robert who awakened her, and not really the swimming? Where does the swimming come in then and why did Kate Chopin make it swimming? Why not badminton? Or archery? Or tennis or something? Why'd it have to be swimming? What's so significant about it? Quite frankly, this book is confusing me a bit, and I never thought I would see the day when a book written in modernized English confused me. If Kate Chopin is as amazing as the critics on the back of my copy write, then I can only see it because she manages to confuse the reader despite simple use of language (excluding the French phrases, which I would never understand in a hundred million years).

1 comment:

womens rights said...

I feel like Robert was distancing himself because he is in fear. He fears that his wife will become too powerful and actually become an independent woman in society. He only views her as a piece of property and he just wnats to there to care for the children. Society has greatly changed over the years and woman are no longer viewed as property. I agree with Sara when she says the book is confusing her because I was lost on the first page. Edna recently overgoes a um rebirth in which she discovers herself. She no longer wants to be the stereotypical woman in society and wants to stand out. She is proud of who she is and she is forced to keep silent about it becuase of her gender.