If you had to read a book by a teenaged author, who would you pick?

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

House on Mango Street - 1st Half

I like how Sandra Cisneros made the narrative just like a kid's, so it's not that hard to relate to Esperanza, even though with the clouds and names part I got a little confused for a couple of paragraphs with all the names (I thought a bunch of different people were coming in her yard and insulting her over and over again, until I realized it was just Lucy and Rachel while Esperanza was thinking of names for the clouds). It amazes me how much I can relate to Esperanza. Where I'm from, my name is pronounced differently too, and I prefer the way my family says it because it sounds sweeter to me, softer. Also, I have younger siblings (a brother and a sister) and in some ways we're totally alike (I'm convinced my eight year-old sister's sole mission in life is to replace me in the future, only she'll be tall AND smart while I think I got the short end of the stick there, literally), but in other ways, we have nothing in common and I wonder how we come from the same gene pool.

No comments: