If you had to read a book by a teenaged author, who would you pick?

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Montana 1948 - Part 2

I really liked the book, which surprised me because I didn't expect to like it. I think I can relate to David and anyone can really because he was a kid while all this was happening, and while he understood how bad it was that his uncle was molesting Indian women, he also retained childlike innocence by believing that Frank Hayden's suicide would solve all the problems and fix everything in his family when life is not that simple and everything that had happened had stressed his parents' relationship, strained the already difficult relationship between Wesley and his father, and made it difficult for them to continue living in Bentrock where no one else (except for the undertaker) knew the whole story. I especially liked the ending, "For an instant I thought I felt the wood still vibrating from my father's blow" because I could interpret it as: even though many years had passed, what happened in the summer of 1948 continued to affect David and his family as if it all had happened recently.

No comments: