If you had to read a book by a teenaged author, who would you pick?

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Montana 1848 - Part 1

Is the year in the title really significant to the book? I'm having a huge problem remembering it, for some reason I keep thinking it's 1945 instead of 1948... Anyway, confusion aside, I really like the book so far, and I can completely relate to Davy: parents always want to shield you from the bad things in life, but they don't seem to realize that you have to grow up and face those things someday. When I was younger, the only way I ever found out anything that was going on was by eavesdropping, like Davy, because my parents never told me about anything (maybe they had a good reason, since I used to be such a blabbermouth, but still, the concept is the same...), even if it was really important. Even now, I'm not told everything (which I really hate when I find out at the last minute that we have to go somewhere and it interferes with my carefully planned out schedule) and I wouldn't even know when my parents were planning to go for a business trip until the day before they were going unless I paid attention when my Mom was talking to a friend who was also going on the trip. I'm sure I feel the same way Davy does when I say that I wish my parents would trust me more.

2 comments:

Lucy said...

i agree that David's parents should trust him more, they don't really understand that he knows what they are talking about. He has a different view then them so it should be heard.

womens rights said...

I agree with Sara but there has to be a limit. Clearly his parents cannot tell him everything because he is young in age. However, Davy should learn things and mature on his own with some guidance from his parents. His parents should give him a little bit of insight but should not discuss with him their every little move. They only hide things from him for his own good. Davy's parents feel like they cannot tell him some things in an attempt to protect him from being angered or hurt in the future. But, Davy's parents should trust him more because he is a good kid.