If you had to read a book by a teenaged author, who would you pick?

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Catcher in the Rye - 1st Half

So far, the novel seems pretty good, decent. But the problem I have with J.D. Salinger's writing style is that the protagonist and narrator (Holder Caulfield) is constantly adding, "It really was", "I really am", or "It really did", as if the reader is supposed to doubt whatever he's saying. The first couple of times it was okay, but I don't like to get to page 80 in a book and still see "The blonde was dumb. She really was", or something like that. It's annoying!!! I suppose I can see why the author did that, seeing as Holden admits that he's a compulsive liar (and, like Esther Greenwood of The Bell Jar, he also hides his identity by making up new names) and adding "really" would separate the lies from the truth or emphasize Holden's lying problem, but it is honestly EXTREMELY irritating!

No comments: